Thursday, July 31, 2008
The Lost Boys 2 was just released directly to DVD. It's been a long awaited sequel...at one time being called Lost Girls...also, there was a "werewolf" version that floated around for a few years. And most recently, there was even a version that brought Jason Patrick's and Keifer Sutherland's characters back. But with all the ideas that were bouncing around...the producers opted for the very ordinary...average repeat telling of the first story. This time, the main characters are inferred to be the kids of Michael and Star from the first movie. Only, Corey Feldman returns and there's a brief but confusing cameo by Corey Haim. But the strangest thing about the movie was the fact that producers decided to incorporate torture porn into the movie, which contradicts the lure of the first movie. People liked the sexiness of the vampires and the magnetic nature of their lifestyle. In this movie...they went for the gross-out factor and forgot...that although there was a sexy vibe in the first movie...the vampires do not have sex. (usually vamps are asexual)...but in need of nudity for overseas distribution, that mythos was dumped for a bit of extra cash.
The 11 Best Songs By the Replacements:
1. Can't Hardly Wait (Tim Version)
2. Left of the Dial (Tim)
3. Alex Chilton (Pleased To Meet Me)
4. Bastards of Young (Tim)
5. I'll Be You (Don't Tell A Soul)
6. Black Diamond (Let It Be)
7. The Ledge (Pleased To Meet Me)
8. Sixteen Blue (Let It Be)
9. Here Comes A Regular (Tim)
10. Skyway (Pleased To Meet Me)
11. We'll Inherit The Earth (Don't Tell A Soul)
The new Paul Westerberg album...49:00... is only .49 cents. that's right...you can buy it legally for .49 cents. The ENTIRE album. That's cheaper than pretty much...everything.
Buy it now at amazon...Amazon
Monday, July 28, 2008
You know what day is the right day to have a kid? Yesterday.
It's actually an old saying about marriage. It's about how guys wait forever to ask a girl to marry them...waiting for the right time...when there is no such thing as the right time. Well, the same goes for having a kid. So many of my friends are "waiting" to have kids. Waiting to make more money...waiting to move into a bigger place...waiting until their emotionally ready. Well, none of this will EVER happen. If you want to get married...get married. If you want to have kids....have kids. I have close friends who were waiting for the right time to have kids...they kiept pushing it...next year...the next year. Now they're getting divorced because one of them got tired of waiting and went and got someone else pregnant.
50 years ago, people lived in one-room apartments, with 10 kids, and ate big bags of oatmeal and rice. They did okay. You'll do fine.
The 11 Best New Amsterdams Songs:
1. Drinking In The Afternoon (Killed or Cured)
2. Hover Near Fame (Worse For Wear)3. Turn Out the Light (Story Like A Scar)
4. Blood On The Floor (At the Foot of My Rival)
5. Smoking Gun (Worse For Wear)
6. Every Double Life (Never You Mind)
7. Just So Over You (Killed or Cured)
8. My Old Man Had A Pistol (Para Toda Vida)
9. Ex's and Oh's (The Companion of My Rival)
10. Watching The World Cave-In (Killed or Cured)
11. Doctor My Eyes (Story Like A Scar B-side)
Buy Matt Pryor's new solo album....Confidence Man.
Friday, July 25, 2008
Hep B is a sexually-transmitted disease. So I've been told...it's quite nasty to catch. And by all means, I think it's a disease worth vaccinating against. But who needs to be vaccinated against it? If you thought "I think infants need to be vaccinated!" then you would get a gold star for today. Turns out that the very first vaccination shot an infant gets is the Hep B vaccine. And the doctors give it at 1 WEEK!!! Honestly, why in the world do infants need to be protected against a sexually-transmitted disease? I did some research about it. Turns out...more kids die from the vaccine in one year...than have EVER died from the disease....EVER! I understand the small pox vaccine...the mumps...chicken pox...polio...lupus (is there a lupus vaccine...if there is, then I get it), but Hep B? It's a sexually-transmitted disease. What infants are out on the town having unprotected sex? And if there are infants out there having unprotected sex...well, then their parents have much BIGGER problems than worrying about their kids catching Hep B.
The 11 Best Songs By The Vines:
1. Ride (Winning Days)
2. Get Free (Highly Evolved)
3. Animal Machine (Winning Days)
4. Autumn Shade II (Winning Days)
5. I'm Only Sleeping (I Am Sam Sdtk.)
6. Vision Valley (Vision Valley)
7. Outtathaway! (Highly Evolved)
8. TV Pro (Winning Days)
9. F.T.W. (Winning Days)
10. Take Me Back (Vision Valley)
11. Don't Listen To The Radio (Vision Valley)
Buy the Vines new album, MELODIA . BTW...who knew they even had a new album?
Thursday, July 24, 2008
My daughter turns 3 this week. Here are her favorite songs:
1. Don't Stop - Fleetwood Mac (has the whole song memorized)
2. ABC - The Jackson 5 (thinks Michael Jackson is just a little boy)
3. Lolly, Lolly, Lolly Get Your Adverbs Here - Schoolhouse Rock (timeless songs)
4. I'm Mr. Heat Miser - The Heat Miser (even though she's jewish...she loves the xmas songs)
5. I'm Mr. Snow Miser - The Snow Miser
6. Three Little Birds - Bob Marley
7. Interjections - Schoolhouse Rock
8. 5 Lil Ducks (live) - Trout Fishing In America
9. Class of 3000 Theme Song - Andre 3000 (the whole album is sorta avant guarde jazz/rap fusion...and she digs it)
10. All Apologies - Nirvana (she likes the "yeah, yeah, yeah" part)
11. When I Get To 11 - The Terrible Twos (Best post-Get-Up Kids release)
Monday, July 21, 2008
I've come to the conclusion that having a new baby is kinda like being a celebrity. Here's why. The moment you walk into a store with a new baby...everybody takes notice. Now not everybody looks directly at you...some people just check you out from the corner of their eyes...but they know you're there. They are trying to get a good glimpse...but are trying to be sly about it at the same time. No matter where you go in the store...you're watched...people want to know what you're going to buy (for the baby). Then you have the people who come up and talk to you. I'm not a celebrity...but I would assume that most people who approach celebrities are people who will never be celebrities themselves. Along those lines, those people who approach people with babies are people who can't have babies themselves, meaning, old people and ugly people. Man, it must suck being a celebrity.
Here are The 11 Best Me First and The Gimme Gimmies Songs:
1. Wild World (Blow in the Wind)
2. Science Fiction Double Feature (Are A Drag)
3. Crazy (Take A Break)
4. Rocket Man (Have A Ball)
5. Hello (Take A Break)
6. Goodbye Earl (Love Their Country)
7. Phantom of The Opera Song (Are A Drag)
8. Danny's Song (Have A Ball)
9. Country Roads (Denver)
10. Jolene (Love Their Country)
11. I Write The Songs (Barry)
Buy the new MFGG album...Have Another Ball NOW!!! (early B-sides and 3 new songs)
Friday, July 18, 2008
Why do old people want to touch my baby? We have our 2-week -old baby in her car seat, sitting in the shopping cart with the seat hood pulled over her and covered by a blanket. One guess what she's doing: SHE'S SLEEPING. How come every person over the age of 90 has to walk by the cart and pull back the blanket and look at her? Seriously, what the hell is wrong with these people? Do you know what would happen if I walked into an elderly person's room at some unGodly hour like 9:00 Pm (get it? old people go to bed early)...and I pulled back their covers? They'd have a heart attack and die. Which is the reason why I don't do that to them. So...they should respect me for not coming into their room and waking them up by not scaring the crap out of my 2-week-old daughter. Think about it from her perspective. She's fast asleep in a nice quite environment...then suddenly an old woman's face pops up cackling. That's enough to scare me...imagine what mental trauma is being embedded in her psyche.
The 11 Best Hold Steady Songs:
1. Cattle and the Creeping Things (Seperation Sunday)
2. Chips Ahoy! (Boys and Girls in America)
3. Your Little Hoodrat Friend (Seperation Sunday)
4. Hot Soft Light (Boys and Girls in America)
5. Teenage Liberation (Boys and Girls in America B-Side)
6. Stuck Between Stations (Boys and Girls in America)
7. Stevie Nix (Seperation Sunday)
8. You Can Make Him Like You (Boys and Girls in America)
9. You Gotta Dance (Crisp Songs)
10. Hostile, Mass (Almost Killed Me)
11. Party Pit (Boys and Girls in America)
Buy the new Hold Steady...Stay Positive. Get 3 bonus tracks with the hard copy, too!
Thursday, July 17, 2008
So I know this is a bit of a cop-out...I had planned to do 3 Beck B-side albums...spanning his entire career. But with life (yes, that troublesome life) getting in the way, I've opted for something a little simpler. But look on the bright side...at least I'm not doing the 11 worst Beck B-sides.
This was a little tough to put together. There are many great Beck B-Sides that have been officially released on the deluxe version of Odelay. and I try to make it a principle...if it's been officially released on an album, it can no longer be considered a B-side. So, I have pooled the remaining tracks and come up with this list.
The 11 Best Beck Non-Album Tracks:
1. One of These Days (Mutations-Era)2. Everybody's Gotta Learn Sometime (Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind)
3. Diamond in the Sleaze (Mutations-Era)4. Diamond Bullocks (Mutations-Era)
5. Halo of Gold (Mutations-Era)6. Fume (Mellow Gold-era)
7. This Girl That I Knew (Guero-Era)8. Salt In The Wound (Midnight Vultures-era)
9. Midnight Vultures (Midnight Vultures-era)
10. Corvette Bummer (Mellow Gold-era)
11. This Is My Crew (Midnight Vultures-era)
Buy Modern Guilt...right now!
Or get all the juicy Odelay Bonus Tracks you want.
Buy Modern Guilt...right now!
Or get all the juicy Odelay Bonus Tracks you want.
Wednesday, July 16, 2008
So one week after having a kid I got in a car accident...then two weeks later...I get the stomach flu. Anyone want to take bets on what happens to me next?
Having a second kid is a completely bizarre dynamic. It's like having a foreign exchange baby come and stay at your house. Reason is...this new baby is completely different from your first child and it's hard to grasp that it's really yours. But maybe making the child different is nature's way of keeping you interested.
The 11 Best Beck Songs:
1. Jack-Ass (Odelay)
2. Lost Cause (Sea Change)
3. Girl (Guero)
4. Sexx Laws (Midnight Vultures)
5. One of These Days (B-Side)
6. Debra (Midnight Vultures)
7. Sissyneck (Odelay)
8. New Round (The Information)
9. Guess I'm Doing Fine (Sea Change)
10. Nicotine And Gravy (Midnight Vultures)
11. The Information (The Information)
Buy Beck great new album...Modern Guilt now!!
Friday, July 11, 2008
Sorry for the delay in returning...after having my second daughter...I was in a bad car accident, wrecking my car...but luckily no injuries. I was rear-ended by some a-hole with no insurance, now i have to spend the better part of my time fixing the situation. When all i want to do is spend time with my kid.
That said...I want to pop in with a quick list and a promise of more Beck goodness to come.
The 11 Best Beck albums:
1. Sea Change
3. Midnight Vultures
6. The Information
7. One Foot In The Grave
8. Mellow Gold
9. Stereopathic Soulmanure
10. A Western Field
11. Golden Feelings