Monday, December 01, 2008

The 11 Best Albums of 2008 (Part 1)


It's time. Time for the "best of..." lists to begin.

As I did last year, I'm asking for all my faithful readers to join in. Submit me your 20 best albums of 2008 (or 10 or 5...or even just 1). I'll compile all the submissions, tally them up, and release a mega-list of the 111 Best CDs of 2008. Either email me your picks or throw your picks in the comment box....either way, I'll get them.

Over the next 5 days...I'll reveal 11 of my favorite albums from this year each day.
To start things off...here are my 45-55 Best Albums of 2008:

45. My Morning Jacket - Evil Urges (get at emusic for free w/ membership)
46. Weezer - The Red Album
47. R.E.M. - Accelerate
48. Cloud Cult - Feel Good Ghosts (get at emusic for free w/ membership)
49. My Brightest Diamond - A Thousand Shark's Teeth (get at emusic for free w/ membership)
50. Paul Westerberg - 49:00 (one 48-minute long song)
51. Albert Hammond Jr. - Como Te Llama?
52. The Watson Twins - Fire Songs (get at emusic for free w/ membership)
53. The Decembrists - Always the Bridesmaid (3 EPs)_
54. The Anniversary - Devil On Our Side
55. Foxboro Hot Tubs - Stop, Drop, and Roll

I'm trying something new. Amazon has a widget with songs. I have selected songs from each of the featured albums. It's just to the right on the sidebar. Take a listen...and if you like...you can buy right off my sight.

5 comments:

Allen Lulu said...

Good list so far. I agree with some, disagree with others.
I would hasten to add (and hoping you are) The Mountain Goats' terrific "Heretic Pride" and Jukebox the Ghost's "Let Live and Let Ghosts". Two spectacular entries in an otherwise moribund year.

Michael said...

Am I missing something? I don't see the Amazon widget you're talking about? I see a section on the sidebar that's titled "MP3 Clips" but I don't see anything there. Meh?

MMJ will be higher on mine, but I'll email it to you at a later date.

PMB said...

Can't wait to see the rest of your list, I'm dying to know what makes the final 11! Some highlights for me this year include:
"Loyalty to Loyalty"- Cold War Kids
"Gossip in the Grain"- Ray LaMontagne
"Heart On"- Eagles of Death Metal
"Flight of the Conchords" (self titled)
"Last days at the Lodge"- Amos Lee
And as much as I dislike this album in comparison to their others- "Only by the Night" Kings of Leon. Am seeing them in concert next year and am interested to see how their recent commercial success (here in Australia) plays out. I imagine loads of screaming teenage girls... Heaven help me!

TJ said...

There's no real order to this for me, but some favorite albums from the year:

Snow Patrol - A Hundred Million Suns
The Killers - Day and Age
Guns N' Roses - Chinese Democracy
REM - Accelerate
Nine Inch Nails - The Slip
Jack's Mannequin - The Glass Passenger
Lil Wayne - Tha Carter III
Coldplay - Viva La Vida...
Metallica - Death Magnetic

Unknown said...

My favourites:
1. WOLF PARADE
At mount zoomer
2. TV ON THE RADIO
Dear Science
3. MGMT
Oracular Spectacular
4. FLEET FOXES
Fleet Foxes
5. BON IVER
For Emma, Forever Ago
6. BEACH HOUSE
Devotion
7. THE WALKMEN
You & Me
8. HIGH PLACES
High Places
9. THE DODOS
Visiter
10. VAMPIRE WEEKEND
Vampire Weekend
11. X-WIFE
Are You Ready For The Blackout?
12. PORTISHEAD
Third
13. CUT COPY
In Ghost Colours
14. DEERHUNTER
Microcastle
15. DEERHOOF
Offend Maggie