One of the best things about a new year is a whole set of new speculation about what albums could possibly be coming our way. I've collected the best of them...let's see how many come true.
Here are the 11 Best Rumored Albums of 2013:
- U2 (July) - Mercury Records announced the new album was coming in 2013...but no word yet from the band.
- My Bloody Valentine - Album #3 (June) - Twenty-two years in the making, Kevin Shields claims the new album was completed on December 21st. But will he let us hear it?
- Arcade Fire (September) - The band's in the studio now with James Murphy, eyeing a late fourth quarter release.
- Pearl Jam (October) - The band keeps saying they're working on a new album but no time line has been solidified.
- Modest Mouse (August) - The mouse does everything at a glacial pace but they've been writing and recording for a couple years now. Along with playing many new songs live...the time seems right.
- MGMT - MGMT (June) - The band has been working on the album since 2011 and has said the release was imminent since then.
- The National (September) - They've been playing new songs live and have stated they're looking at a 2013 release.
- Portishead - Fourth (October) - Barrow claimed to start work on a new album in Sept 2011. While two years is a normal pace for most bands...this is Portishead...it could mean ten years. Here's to being optimistic.
- Vampire Weekend (May) - They've been playing new songs and are claiming a new release this spring. Looks promising.
- Rilo Kiley (April) - With an obscure Facebook update...it could only mean one of two things. New album or Coachella appearance. Okay, three: both.
- Wolfmother - Gatherings (March) - The band claimed that a new album would be coming in March. But they said this last year, too.