Wednesday, December 06, 2006

The 11 Most Likely Albums To Be Nominated for Grammy's Album of the Year

In high school I ran for school Treasurer. I really didn't know what a Treasure did but since no one was running against me, I figured it would be fun to do. On the last day to announce a candidacy, Harriett Longs registered to run against me. Now don't get me wrong, Harriet was a nice girl and a friend...but she was not the best candidate for the job. I was a straight A student. Harriet barely pulled Cs. I aced the college math placement exam. Harriet never passed freshman math. I was on my way to college. Harriet was worried she might have to repeat Senior year. On paper, I was the better choice. But during our candidacy, Harriet's wealthy father paid for her to make t-shirts for most of the campus. I gave away stickers. Harriet had a BBQ after school one day. I had a bowl of M&Ms to share. She out campaigned me with money. And she won with 75% of the vote. She turned the election into a popularity contest and won...not unlike most elections.

AND...not unlike the Grammy's. Tomorrow Grammy will announce the nominees for their annual award show. The way they are picked...is by the labels running massive campaigns for their most sellable material. Every once in awhile a good album sneaks in (Bob Dylan, Beck, Radiohead, Outkast) but for the most part, the nominees are either pop schlock (Nsync, Vanessa Carlton) that will be forgotten before next summer or and artist who never got their due (Santana, Steely Dan). 99% of the categories are BS. The only one that really matters is album of the year.

Here are my 11 most likely candidates for the nominees for Grammy's album of the year category:

1. Mary J. Blige - The Breakthrough
2. Bob Dylan - Modern Times
3. Nelly Furtado - Loose
4. Justin Timberlake - Future Sex/ Love Sounds
5. KT Tunstall - Eye To The Telescope
6. Christina Aguilera - Back To Basics
7. Gnarls Barkley - St. Elsewhere
8. John Legend - Once Again
9. Jerry Lee Lewis - Last Man Standing
10. John Mayer - Continum
11. Beck - The Information

Dark Horses: Outkast - Idlewild, Dixie Chicks - Taking The Long Road, Jamie Foxx - Unpredictable, Prince - 3121, Paul Simon - Surprise, Bruce Springsteen - We Shall Overcome, Beyonce - B'day, Isley Brothers - Baby

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You should have invested in alcohol instead of M&Ms that might have swayed the high school electorate in your favor