Thursday, August 06, 2009

The 11 Best Modest Mouse Songs

I'm back from my extended hiatus of vacations...birthday parties...big work projects...and all night drinking binges in North Korea (seriously you have to try the Kanggye if you can). It's been a slow period for big releases...even Modest Mouse could only afford to put out an EP.

That said...probably the biggest news in music occurred this month. One of the greatest websites devoted to music (EMUSIC) has completely changed its operating proceedures. I could do a top 11 (or bottom 11) of all the changes that have impaired a once great pinnacle of musical hope. Prices have gone up...downloads per month have gone down. Sharing eliminated. Site runs slower. Site has more bugs. And what do we get in return? Catalogs by Pearl Jam, Michael Jackson, Modest Mouse and Bruce Springsteen. Whoopee...who didn't own all that stuff already? What a waste.

And why is making a list of the best Modest Mouse songs so hard? What are your lists people?!!

Here are the 11 Best Songs By Modest Mouse:

1. Trailer Trash (The Lonesome Crowded West)
2. Dashboard (We Were Dead Before The Ship Sank)
3. Custom Concern (This is a Long Drive)
4. Teeth Like God's Shoeshine (The Lonesome Crowded West)
5. The View (Good News For People Who Love Bad News)
6. Florida (We Were Dead Before The Ship Sank)
7. Float On (Good News For People Who Love Bad News)
8. Breakthrough (This is a Long Drive)
9. Spitting Venom (We Were Dead Before The Ship Sank)
10. Doin The Cockroach (The Lonesome Crowded West)
11. Fly Trapped in a Jar (We Were Dead Before The Ship Sank)

Buy the new Modest Mouse EP, No One's First, and You're Next.

3 comments:

The John Lennon Scenario said...

Pretty Impressive, as always~ I wondered what you thought of Ugly Casanova and if any songs off that album would make a list of best songs by Isaac Brock~ I got the opportunity to spend some time with Issac in March just a couple of months after meeting Conor Oberst and it was really strange because both of them were exactly how you would imagine them from their unique music & style~ Mr. Brock didn't seem to entertain the idea of making another Ugly Casanova album to my utter dismay and the single off of the new EP, "Satellite Skin" might be my least favorite Modest Mouse song of all time but they are still one of my Top 3 favorite bands of all time and I will always love Isaac, I get so sick of people bitching that they stopped being amazing after The Lonesome Crowded West and it pisses me off that he actually wrote a song (Satellite Skin) that isn't completely stunning and seems to have the same energy level as some of the songs on the latest Conor Oberst Album. I guess every band eventually busts their metaphorical nut~ How classy is that statement?! Good Job on the list~

acompleteunknown said...

I like Ugly Cassanova. It was a nice surprise when I discovered it at the CD store...in a time before the internet kept me up to date with every thing that was happening.

Unknown said...

I'm surprised that not even one of my favourites was in your list! Missed the Boat is number 1 for me, and my list would definitely include Gravity Rides Everything, Blame it on the Tetons, Summer, and Satellite Skin. However a bunch of the songs on your list I haven't heard of, so I will definitely check them out