Thursday, September 01, 2011
The 11 Best Songs By Beirut
I think great music is like a disease. It's contagious. I hadn't planned on doing a Beirut list. I was leaning toward Tom Morrello...but that meant listening to him sing for a couple hours which I wasn't looking forward to do. A co-worker asked me if I had heard the new song by Beirut. I had heard it months ago...but she started listening to it at her computer. I found myself nodding along...and soon I was listening to it at my computer. Another co-worker passed me and asked what I was listening to I told him...and he was listening at his computer only minutes later. That kind of social contagion is what the radio is supposed to do but doesn't do. It's a nice feeling when you turn someone onto a song or band. I know they have to play music that the labels want them to play...but wouldn't it be more satisfying spread a musical viral sensation?
Here are the 11 Best Songs By Beirut:
1. My Night With the Prostitute From Marseille (March of the Zapotec)
2. Postcards From Italy (Gulag Orkestar)
3. Guyamas Sonora (Flying Cup Club)
4. My Wife, Lost In The World (March of the Zapotec)
5. Elephant Gun (Lon Gisland EP)
6. Rhineland (Gulag Orkestar)
7. Nantes (Flying Cup Club)
8. Forks and Knives (Flying Cup Club)
9. Prenzlauerberg (Gulag Orkestar)
10. Napoleon on the Bellerophan (Pompeii EP)
11. East Harlem (East Harlem EP)
Buy Beirut's new album Rip Tide, now!!!