My friend Gina deactivated her Facebook account for the week of her birthday then she reactivated it the following week. When I asked her why she did it, she said it was because she didn't want to have to thank everyone on her Facebook for wishing her a happy birthday.
Whether we like it or not, there is an unsaid Facebook birthday etiquette. It is understood that you don't have to wish your friends on your Facebook a happy birthday. That's optional. But if it's your birthday and all your friends, acquaintances, co-workers, and people you only friended to be polite wish you a happy birthday...you are obligated to thank them all. I know people who only check into their Facebook once a year just to give the obligatory thank you. Because when you don't...you're an ungrateful asshole. This brings us to a whole new level of internet etiquette. Because the whole world sees your actions, you can either do the universal thank you to everyone...or you can do the individual thank yous to each person. But if you thank one person...you have to thank them all. Same goes if you have two friends with birthdays on the same day. If you wish one a happy birthday...you have to wish the other one a happy birthday, too...even if you don't like the other person. It's almost enough to avoid the Facebook birthdays altogether.
That said, I told my friend, she could just hide her birthday from her Facebook community. She replied, "Why would I want to do that? I want everyone to know when my birthday is. I just don't like having to thank them."
Here are the 11 Best Songs By Puscifer:
- Conditions For My Parole (Conditions For My Parole)
- Green Valley (Conditions For My Parole)
- The Undertaker (Underworld)
- The Mission M Is For Milla Mix (C is For)
- Toma (Conditions For My Parole)
- Holiday on the Moon (New Tales To Tell)
- Horizons (Conditions For My Parole)
- Rev 22:20 (Underworld Evolution)
- Potions Deliverance Mix (C is For)
- Momma Sed (V is for Vagina)
- The Weaver (Conditions For My Parole)