Wednesday, November 22, 2006

The 11 Best U2 Songs (00s)


I have this friend Max, who I've been friends with since high school. We were never great friends in high school but hung out a lot and knocked a few ones back from time-to-time. Oddly, Max and I stayed in touch through college...here and there...and even now, 15 years later, he's one of my only high school friends I'm still in regular contact with and I can call a real close friend.

To me U2 is that kind of a friend. They were never at the top of my list as one of my favorite bands but they have always remained as an artist that I listen to on a regular basis. After 20 years of listening to them, I can honestly say they are one of my favorites of all time.

So when it came to making a top 11 on their 27-year career, it was next to impossible. How do you compare War-era U2 with The Fly or ATYCLB? The thing is you can't, which is apparent in their new 18 song greatest hits compilation. What the label doesn't realize is that U2 is 3 different bands: the politcal rockers of the 80s, the dance-lounge artist of the 90s, and the corporate rock band of the 00s. They were on the right track with the 2-disc decade compilations until they screwed it up throwing ATYCLB in with the 90s. But hey, when was the last time a label ever did anything right? We'll try to amend that here with part 1 of a 3-day look at U2's career.

Here are the 11 Best U2 songs from the 2000s:

1. Walk On (All That You Can't Leave Behind)
2. Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own (How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb)
3. Beautiful Day (All That You Can't Leave Behind)
4. Electrical Storm (1990-200)
5. City of Blinding Lights (How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb)
6. Yahweh (How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb)
7. Vertigo (How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb)
8. Are You Gonna Wait Forever? (How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb B-side)
9. Always (All That You Can't Leave Behind B-side) MP3
10. When I Look At The World (All That You Can't Leave Behind)
11. Summer Rain (All That You Can't Leave Behind B-side)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

what a total tool, try listening to earlier work