Thursday, April 12, 2007

The 11 Best Bright Eyes Non-Album Tracks


Some people think Bob Dylan is a genius. Some people think he's master song writer. Others think he's the voice of a generation. According to Bob Dylan, he's none of the above. Through-out Dylan's career, he fought the labels that were thrust upon him. When he was folk music's savior, he recorded an album with electric guitars. When he was labeled as the chosen Jew, he became a Christian. When he was a washed out has-been, he recorded Time Out of Mind. It was as if, Dylan sought out a challenge with every new album. He never let himself get comfortable or complacent in his role. Even in the 80s, when the world accused him of going downhill and becoming a shell of his former self, he helped put together one of the most energetic acts of the entire decade with the Traveling Wilburys. Every decade brought us a new version of Dylan. A new sound to cherish and enjoy. In 3 years, Dylan will enter his 6th decade as a musician. When Johnny Cash entered his 6th decade, he gave us the brilliant American Recordings. If Cash is any indication of what Dylan has in store for us then we are a lucky lucky bunch.

Cassadaga marks the 10th year of Connor Oberst's career. Whether we will be talking about him in 40 years is a long way off but unitl then we can appreciate what he has given us thus far. Here's an different look at his career so far...

The 11 Best Bright Eyes Non-Album Tracks (prior to Four Winds):

1. Well Whiskey (Lua)
2. Loose Leaves (There Is No Beginning To The Story)
3. I Woke Up With This Song In My Head (Lua)
4. One Foot In Front Of The Other (Saddle Creek 50)
5. When The President Talks To God (Free iTunes download)
6. Oh, You Are The Roots That Sleep (Oh Holy Fools)
7. Messenger Bird's Song (There Is No Beginning To The Story)
8. True Blue (Lua)
9. We Are Free Men (There Is No Beginning To The Story)
10. Going For the Gold (Oh Holy Fools)
11. Burn Rubber (Take It Easy)

Buy The album here and get a FREE 3-inch CD with an excellent new Non-Album Track!!

2 comments:

The John Lennon Scenario said...

"No Lies, Just Love" should be number 11 at the very least~ Maybe it is because that song is the first I ever heard by Conor and it changed my life forever and still to this day, it might be the most emotional song I have ever heard.. I would have to put it on both of the Bright Eyes lists.. I was wondering if you knew of that song and didn't agree or if that one had slipped under your radar considering he has over 300 songs~ Nice work on all of these lists, I love all of the bands that you have written about and I agree with 84% of your choices.. I hope He Dreams Awake will be on a list down the road. Cheers~ KNiFA

The John Lennon Scenario said...

"No Lies, Just Love" should be number 11 at the very least~ Maybe it is because that song is the first I ever heard by Conor and it changed my life forever and still to this day, it might be the most emotional song I have ever heard.. I would have to put it on both of the Bright Eyes lists.. I was wondering if you knew of that song and didn't agree or if that one had slipped under your radar considering he has over 300 songs~ Nice work on all of these lists, I love all of the bands that you have written about and I agree with 84% of your choices.. I hope He Dreams Awake, Manchester Orchestra & The John Lennon Scenario will be on your lists down the road. Cheers~ Respect~