Friday, February 27, 2009

The Unknown: GBU'S - Covered 2009 (disc 1)

At the beginning of the year, sales are always slow. Even rock star giant Bruce Springteen's new album came out to meager numbers following his Super Bowl performance. So to keep fans hungry for more music, a plethera of compilations are making their way to stores, all filled with artists that would perform at a blogger's wet dream concert. Sweetheart, Heroes, and Revolution in Sound (March) feature modern bands covering classic artists...while Dark Was The Night (the most impressive) is a charity comp featuring 30 a-list artists. All the proceeds go to charity. These are the albums are getting the buzz in this early 2009.

So, I'm joing the club. I'd like to announce my first ever compilation. I call it Covered 2009. It features mostly current artists covering songs from the 80s. This is the first disc, which features alternative songs. Disc 2...out later this year will feature covers of metal songs. Coming up with the songs for this was virtually impossible...so I narrowed it down with a few parameters. No songs from an artist's full-length release. I tried to limit the selections from tribute albums...I think one song made the cut.

Like the other comps...I'd like to donate some money charity in its honor. So I'm asking everyone who downloads something from this site to go out and purchase one of the outher compilation CDs. The money goes to charity. They're all really good albums. And you'll feel good about doing it.

The Good, The Bad, and the Unknown - Covered 2009 (disc 1)


1. Orange Crush - Editors (R.E.M.)
2. Message in a Bottle - Matisyahu (The Police)
3. Pulling Mussels (From a Shell) - Travis (Squeeze)
4. Enjoy The Silence - Failure (Depeche Mode)
5. An Cat Dubh - The Bravery (U2)
6. Love My Way - The Polyphonic Spree (Psychedelic Furs)
7. There Is A Light that Never Goes Out - Death Cab For Cutie (The Smiths)
8. Love Vigilantes - Iron & Wine (New Order)
9. Killing Moon - Pavement (Echo & The Bunnymen)
10. Oddfellows Local 151 - Weezer (R.E.M.)
11. Lovecats - OkGo (The Cure)
12. Seconds - Rogue Wave (U2)
13. Pretty In Pink - The National (The Psychedelic Furs)
14. Everyday Is Like Sunday - Colin Meloy (Morrissey)
15. Ceremony - Radiohead (New Order)
16. Love Will Tear Us Apart - The Cure (Joy Division)

Buy the new Heroes & Dark Was the Night comps now! Sweeheart, too.

3 comments:

TJ said...

This is the second Death Cab/Smiths cover I've heard this weekend (my friend gave me This Charming Man). Freakin' Sweet

Vince said...

Oh man, these links dont work anymore, I beg you to relist, these are incredible covers, from one music lover to another, please have mercy and relist

Anonymous said...

I love Pavement's cover of 'Killing Moon'. I reckon Pavement lovers would also like tunes from new Manchester band Foilface. They got a few early mixes of their tunes available for free at - http://www.foilface.com/2009-songs-foilface.htm - and are in the process of mixing their first two EPs