Thursday, May 25, 2006
THE UNKNOWN: Great Lake Swimmers - Bodies and Minds
Most of the time, when we're looking for great new music, we're looking for a band who will come along and knock our socks off. So when a great band comes along that does the exact opposite (no, not put your socks on), it's hard to jump up and get excited. Because all you want to do is sit down and chill out. The band I'm talking about is a group called the Great Lake Swimmers. The GLS have recently built a growing cult following on making some of the best bedtime of the music since early My Morning Jacket...only these guys are from Canada.
2005's "Bodies and Minds" finds The GLS recording in a Toronto-based church. As sounds of their instruments and vocals bounce off the cathedral walls, it creates one of the most haunting yet beautiful album that's been heard since Chet Baker knocked out his own teeth. Bodies and Minds is the kind of music you want to listen to at the end of a long day of work while unwinding with your favorite mixed drink. It's the kind of music that doesn't try to be anything but what it is. It's the kind of music that makes you forget about the B.S. drama of life. It's the kind of music that makes you want to think about nothing else...but the music.
Instead of reviewing each song, I'll write what drink you should have while hearing it.
1. Song for the Angels - Vodka Martini
2. Let's Trade Skins - Salty Dog
3. When It Flows - Suffering Bastard
4. To Leave it Behind - Brandy Sidecar
5. Imaginary Bars - Sex on the Beach
6. I Saw You In The Wild - Godfather Sour
7. Falling Into The Sky - Scotch on the rocks
8. I Could Be Nothing - Rusty Nail
9. Long Into The Evening - Horny Monkey (not that's it matches...I just like the name of the drink)
10. Various Stages - Bellini
11. Bodies And Minds - Mai Tai
1. Bodies and Minds - B+
2. Great Lake Swimmers - B
Take something with you...
1. I Saw You In The Wild
2. Song For The Angels
CD Universe: Greak Lake Swimmers - Bodies and Minds