Monday, October 24, 2011
The 11 Best Songs By My Brightest Diamond
My Brightest Diamond fans always seem to look exactly the same. They're usually all woman. They're tall but not tall enough to play basketball. Skinny. They like wearing felt trench coats and scarfs even when it's still rather warm out. They usually have black hair or black hair with a red streak down the side. And they always wear that stupid little hat that is a cross between a beret and top hat which looks obnoxiously alternative with no sense of its overt hipsterness. And she's always drinking some sort of latte that wasn't served up to her exact specification, so she's got this pissed look on her face. So she sits in her chair at work and puts on her headphones and blasts MBD because no else understands.
This isn't a direct assault on MBD, if I didn't like her I wouldn't be doing a list. But it's just a strange observance how fans can actually taint a singer. MBD takes elements of classical and opera and makes strongly crafted indie rock songs that would be much more enjoyable if I didn't think I was being non-conformist every time I listened. Maybe I just need a hipster hat to feel more comfortable.
Here are the 11 Best Songs By My Brightest Diamond:
1. To Pluto's Moon (A Thousand Shark's Teeth)
2. Inside A Boy (A Thousand Shark's Teeth)
3. The Robin's Jar (Bring Me The Workhorse)
4. Golden Star (Bring Me The Workhorse)
5. Tainted Love (Gimme Indie Rock Prom)
6. Something Of An End (Bring Me The Workhorse)
7. Ice and The Storm (A Thousand Shark's Teeth)
8. Lucky (OKX: A Tribute to OK Computer)
9. Magic Rabbit (Bring Me The Workhorse)
10. From The Top of the World (A Thousand Shark's Teeth)
11. Disappear (Bring Me The Workhorse)
Buy My Brightest Diamond's new album, All Things Will Unwind.