Saturday, October 13, 2007
The 11 Best Morrissey Songs
Is there anything more arbitrary than a Morrissey song? I thought I was in trouble when I tried to do a "best of" for Radiohead...but I luckily slid by that one unscathed. Maybe it was all the B-Sides I listed the day before. But picking the best Morrissey is like deciding which of your kids you like best. Better yet...deciding which Morrissey songs are the best is like deciding which of your kids to save from a burning building when you can only save one! That may seem like an exaggerated example...but have you seen Morrissey fans? If you spell his name wrong they'll castrate you on the spot.
Last night, I saw night 9 of Morrissey's 10-night stay at the Hollywood Palladium. This is the last concert series before the Palladium is demolished for possible remodeling...although the word is it may be turned into a mini-mall complete with a Dunkin Doughnuts and a Panda Express.
It's a very sad day for my live music viewing life. I have seen countless great shows at the Palladium (Pearl Jam, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Beastie Boys, Smashing Pumpkins, Garbage, Foo Fighters, Rage Against The Machine, Green Day, Tool, Alice in Chains). This is a piece of my musical history...gone forever. Going out with Morrissey was almost poetic. I have never seen Morrissey, even though I've been a Smiths fan all my life. For lack of a better word...it was "perfect."
The 11 Best Morrissey Songs:
1. Tomorrow (Your Arsenal)
2. I Don't Mind If You Forget Me (Viva Hate)
3. Everyday is Like Sunday (Viva Hate)
4. Why Don't You Find Out For Yourself (Vauxhall and I)
5. We Hate It When Our Friends Become Successful (Your Arsenal)
6. Will Never Marry (Bona Drag)
7. First of the Gang To Die (You Are The Quarry)
8. Suedehead (Viva Hate)
9. Sister, I'm A Poet (World of Morrissey)
10. The Youngest Was The Most Loved (Ringleader)
11. I Like You (You Are The Quarry)