Wednesday, June 11, 2008

The 11 Best Songs By The Wallflowers


In less than a month, I'm going to be a father for the second time. The crazy thing about fatherhood is realizing how much your kid absorbs everything about you. They reuse phrases that you've used, they like the same things you do, and they even learn how to mimic your mannerisms. Recently, I was watching a basketball game on TV. The team I was rooting for wasn't doing too well. I was upset. I wasn't to the point where I was hurtling empty beer bottles at the TV in hopes they crossed the space/time continuum and beaned the officials in the head, but I was annoyed to the say the least. My daughter picked up on this. Because on the next possession, my team missed a shot. Irate, I said, "Damn it." I caught myself, realizing my daughter was in the room. But my daughter had me beat. She looked up at me smiling and said, "Oh fuck." (One note: my daughter is only 2). I never swear that badly watching a game on TV, but somehow my daughter was able to associate my anger with certain "anger words," including the infamous "F" word. At that moment, not only was I upset that my daughter had started learning swear words....I was the proudest I ever had been in my entire life. Why? Because she was on her way to becoming a true basketball fan.

Here are the 11 Best Songs By The Wallflowers:

1. Sleepwalker (Breach)
2. One Headlight (Bringing Down The Horse)
3. Closer To You (Red Letter Days)
4. Laughing Out Loud (Bringing Down The Horse)
5. Murder 101 (Breach)
6. Days of Wonder (Rebel, Sweetheart)
7. Everything I Need (Red Letter Days)
8. The Beautiful Side of Somewhere (Rebel, Sweetheart)
9. I Wish I Felt Nothing (Bringing Down The Horse)
10. Everybody Out Of the Water (Red Letter Days)
11. Hand Me Down (Breach)

By Jakob Dylan's new album, Seeing Things...not to be confused with N*E*R*D's Seeing Sounds.

Hear a free preview of the album at James Perse. If you're not familiar with James Perse, grab some of his clothes while you're at it. You won't be sorry. Possibly some of the most comfortable clothes I own.

3 comments:

Chris said...

hey, thanks for this lil' mix, i've been kinda curious about the wallflowers lately... especially w/ the new jakob dylan comin' out and was wondering where to start.

creatipuesta said...

Nice ranking, but i think Josephine is missing. Great song.

Anonymous said...

3 Marlenas is one of my faves. Oh how I love the Wallflowers. Saw them last summer with Counting Crows and was not disappointed.