Tuesday, May 18, 2010

The 11 Best Songs By LCD Soundsytem


I bought myself a new record player this weekend.  I had one which fizzed out a few years ago...and never bothered to replace it.  Didn't think I needed to.  But after spending most of the day listening to my vinyl collection, I'm once again hooked.  It is true that a brand new vinyl played on by a brand new stylus is better quality than a CD.  And it's true that 90% of the people who listen to both won't hear the difference.  I try to describe it to people like the difference between pan&scan and letterbox...but even more slight.

There is something undeniable that vinyl has that CDs and digital are missing.  It's called dedication.  Listening to a record requires attention.  Listening to a CD or digital...you can skip around...listen to part of a song...you barely ever absorb an artist's intention to make an album.  With a record, you can't escape it.  A record creates a connection between an artist and a listener that doesn't exist with any other medium.  I miss records.  And I'm glad to be back in the game.

Here is the 11 Best Songs By LCD Soundsystem:

1.  Someone Great (Sound of Silver)
2.  Tribulations (LCD Soundsystem)
3.  Losing My Edge (Non-Album Single)
4.  Daft Punk Is Playing in My House (LCD Soundsystem)
5.  All My Friends (Sound of Silver)
6.  Time To Get Away (Sound of Silver)
7.  Great Release (LCD Soundsystem)
8.  North America Scum (Sound of Silver)
9.  45:33 (45:33)
10.  Disco Infiltrator (LCD Soundsystem)
11.  Jump Into The Fire (B-Side)

Buy LCD Soundsystem's new album, This Is Happening.

2 comments:

AKA said...

I don't often leave comments, but I love your blog. And I'm sorry that I fall into the trap of never leaving good comments, and, thus, mainly all you get are the bad ones complaining about your lists. Regardless, this is certainly not that kind of comment: my question for you is, is LCD Soundsystem great? I hear about them (him?) all the time, but I've never actually heard any of their music. Where should I start, album-wise?

acompleteunknown said...

I think the new album is pretty great. Been listening it quite a bit. Gets better with every listen. The last album (Sound of Silver) is also a good one. I don't think you could go wrong with either of them.