Thursday, May 13, 2010

The Unknown: Jack White's The Upholsters




I had a discussion with my friends about the lowliness of the music industry.  Many of them think that the internet is the reason for the downfall.  Though I will admit it adds to the problems...I don't think it is the problem.  One of the biggest problems in my opinion is that music today (popular music, that is) really sucks.  Okay, some decent bands sneak through...but think about the last decade...the 00s.  Now, see how many great bands...and I mean truly great bands...debuted in the 00s.  The White Stripes, you say?  Nope, came out in the 90s.  Ryan Adams?  Nope, 90s.  Wilco, Foo Fighters, Radiohead, Green Day, Incubus, Weezer, Beck, Modest Mouse, Muse, QOTSA, Death Cab For Cutie...all 90s.  Right now...the best I can come up with who debuted in the 00s are The Killers, Coldplay, Linkin Park, Kings of Leon and Jack Johnson.  Five artists...that's all.  If you've only found five artists with genuine talent over the past decade...maybe the problem isn't the downloaders...maybe it's you. 

Here is Jack White's The Upholsters:

1.  Apple of My Eye
2.  I Ain't Superstitious
3.  Pain

Buy Jack White's new album with the Dead Weather, Sea of Cowards.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I somewhat agree with you however it takes time for those bands to become great. Most of the bands you named were not immediately "great". I think in a few years we will start recognizing the great 00s bands.

R.W. said...

what about the Black Rebel Motorcycle Club?

T said...

Is there anywhere else these are available for download? The links are broken!

Thanks.